Wednesday, March 19, 2014

AUDIO: RAURY IS GIVING ME LIFE RIGHT NOW


BILLBOARD.COM/GFCNEWYORK
When I was about 17 years old I was getting high on marijuana, listening to Lauryn Hill and hating life.   Beyond the fact that I had just lost my moms I was just generally going through a rebellious phase that I think all teenagers go through. It was a little more amplified by the dagga and Miss Hill singing "So Much Things to Say" on her MTV Unplugged 2.0 effort. I was already a writer even back then and it was a time where I think I wrote some of the most interesting poetry I have ever written. There's something about pain and suffering, whether real or imagined, that makes one dig deeper. I still have those books I wrote the poetry in and whenever I look through them I am like; dang, son. You was angry. Anyway. I am reminded of this by something I read about this kick-ass 17 year old artist from Atlanta, US. His name is Raury and he is deservedly making the internets go gaga over his new track God's Whisper. Of the inspiration behind the song Raury tells Billboard.com; "I was fucking pissed. I hated school. My mom found out I smoked pot. She was patronizing me all the time. I just wanted to drop out and focus on what I wanted to do which was music. I thought school was a system of indoctrination and brainwashing, and they just want you to go to school, graduate, have kids and die. That's something I won't compromise. I won’t live my life on my knees."
I relate and I am in love with his debut single!

No comments: