Thursday, December 20, 2012

2012'S BEST!


It’s been quite a year, 2012. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. From changing jobs twice, to moving into a place of my own, to leaving all of that and being in a state of limbo as I am now- I have no regrets. Life has its way of making everything work out and I am confident that whatever I do from here onwards, it will all work out. Enough about me though. Here a few things I have enjoyed in 2012. My favourite songs came from the likes of Rihanna (‘Loveee Song ft. Future), our very own Zonke (‘Chivalry is Dead’ and ‘Viva the Legend’), Gotye (‘State of the Art’) and the amazing Frank Ocean, whose album is among my favourites this year. After last week when a friend shared Solange Knowles’ EP titled ‘True’ with me, I am convinced that first prize goes to this ultra-stylish sister to the diva Beyonce! I haven’t been able to stop playing songs like ‘Lovers in the Parking Lot’ and ‘Some things just don’t fucking work’. I can say without batting an eyelid that Solange is my favourite person this year.
This has also been the year when ELLE magazine took a huge risk by featuring a local star on their cover and this was one of my favourites of the year- the Bonang Matheba cover! Rihanna’s GQ cover was also right up there with my absolute faves.

In terms of fashion, I have to say I am absolutely loving my new Ray Bans from their rare prints collection (available at Sunglass Hut stores nationwide). Absolute stunners! Ok. I’m using the word ‘absolute’ a lot. The vodka company might have to pay me. Lol.
Local designer Cleo Droomer’s collection at Mr Price was also a highlight. I really love the prints and his unique take on the very trendy peplum.
In 2013 I am keen to watch some of the designers I got to judge in the ELLE Rising Star Designer competition, which was an honour to be a part of. Thank you, ELLE.
In literature, I have to mentioned actress Bonnie Mbuli's book titled 'Eyebags and Dimples'. It's a must read! The actress tells her life story in this easy-to-read and very interesting book. I was mostly touched by her experience with depression and appreciate the fact that it's a condition black folk hardly acknowledge. We prefer the easy route of calling people insane when we struggle to define their behaviour. Big ups to Bonnie for putting it out there! Loved the book!
I don't know if there'll be any more blogging for me for the remainder of the year. If not, then I'll catch you all on the flipside. Merry Christmas and may your New Year be filled with all things fabulous!
x

No comments: