Monday, August 12, 2013

HOW MENSWEAR BECAME THE HIGHLIGHT AT MERCEDES BENZ FASHION WEEK CAPETOWN


South African menswear remains quite small in comparison to womenswear. With David Tlale's showcase of a full menswear collection for the first time this past weekend at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Cape Town I can honestly say menswear was the highlight of the event. Not a soul was left questioning Tlale's beautiful execution of what I unreservedly thought was a triumphant display of menswear I am so desperate to get my hands on. 
Although I missed the Adriaan Kuiters showcase at Iziko National Gallery, a lot of the pundits I trust were raving about designer Keith Henning's collaboration with Jody Paulson. I've always loved the clean Adriaan Kuiters aesthetic and having seen the pictures I wish I had been there to see the collection first hand. 
These two shows were the talk of the whole weekend and I hope this is the beginning of a new era for South African menswear. One hopes that the delivery by these two brands will inspire a new and sustained excitement about menswear as a whole.


Note: All pictures are David Tlale (blogger's own)



No comments: