Saturday, June 23, 2012

LESSONS FROM TOM FORD

MODELS IN THE CAMPAIGN FROM THE FIRST EVER READY-TO-WEAR WOMENSWEAR COLLECTION TOM FORD DID UNDER HIS OWN LABEL
I'm still smiling, a few minutes after the doccie ended. I've just watched 'OWN Visionaries', the Tom Ford edition, which I discovered randomly while browsing. It's a 40-minute look at the man who transformed Gucci and YSL into the modern luxury houses that we all fell in love with. The story of a man who left all that glory and later pursued his film-making passion despite the chuckles that surrounded his efforts. It's the story of a man who defied the social networks, banning photography and tweeting at the first ever showcase of his eponymous label's ready-to-wear collection. Despite doing so, the social networks stillcouldn't help but speculate about what he was up to.
With every minute that passed as I listened to Mr. Ford, I couldn't help but tweet a lot of what he was saying. Much as most of it is what one already knows, it's little thoughts that we often forget as we go on about our daily lives. I am left inspired!
One of my favourite out of the quotes I did tweet...


'FOR ME, I wear my shirt open because ties give me a headache. I turned THAT into my style...'


Hearing this quote made me think of the many guys I often see wearing their shirts the way Tom Ford does and how that in itself is what Mr Ford refers to as 'losing' oneself. You're no longer being yourself and adapting your sense of style to reflect you. 
More than anything, as the doccie was about to end, Tom Ford left me with one quote I will never forget and one that I would love to utter myself later on in life; 'I am confident that I have lived and experienced enough that death doesn't freak me out at all!'

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I get goosebumps EVERY time I watch this documentary! I swear I watch it atleast once a week along with 'The September Issue'. I die for Tom Ford!!!