Thursday, February 4, 2010

Fashion faithful's hope restored

I should have posted this quite some time ago, but anyways; here goes.

I wore a black jacket with floral patterns. Gold chains hung from my skinny neck over my bare, lemon chest and dark blue skinnys caressed my legs with navy blue moccasins at my feet. It was fashion week. I’m allowed to go freak!

I had long given up on actually enjoying shows at FW and going there has become an excuse to drink (not that there was much by way of booze at this do, unless your pockets were swollen), smoke and drown in the company of extraordinary vanity- which is quite amusing.

Audi Joburg Fashion Week, although I still view it as more of a Precious Motsepe-and-friends glamourfest rather than an actual fashion week, was not short of surprises.

I attended for two days, convinced that I’d be returning home unimpressed as is usually the case. But, boy was I wrong; Craig Jacobs’ Fundudzi and Thula Sindi did something that few local designers ever achieve- they exhibited growth, direction and- in Jacobs’ case, a well constructed show concept.

I’m not sure how much justice words can do to describe the east-inspired collection that featured hints of African print remaining constant throughout and where it was absent, the fabric remained true to the spirit of the collection. Craig certainly earned my respect.

It is at moments like these that one is inspired to hold on to the dream or idea that creative genius does indeed exist in our fashion industry as many who saw David Tlale’s show (which I regret having missed) witnessed.

In the next couple of days I’ll be surfing the lengths and breadths of the information superhighway, exploring the coverage of NY FW and comparing that with the coverage of South Africa’s FW.

I must say, the Sunday papers surprised me this past weekend with loads and loads of delightful content with regards to the Audie Joburg FW. Some leave much to be desired by way of content, but we are headed in the right direction. Fashion is not a trivial field, the press must cover this important part of our arts industry.

What we’ve seen in the past reminds me of what Anna Wintour says in “The September Issue”. She said; “my brother is a political editor…” at some British paper. “My siblings are amused by what I do”. Editors of large publications need to recognize that there’s a huge thirst for information in this industry and what I saw this past week gives me much hope that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

I may be a freak but don’t get it twisted. I’m not just sitting at FW looking pretty. My eyes are peeled and, yes, my hope in 2010 is restored.

No comments: